FAQs for International Degree-seeking Students

The following information is valid for all international applicants and admitted students pursuing a complete Bachelor's or Master's program (including all Graduate School programs) at Hof University.
Exchange students, please refer to the FAQs for Exchange Students. Students of our Graduate School programs, please find additional information here.

Having a question not listed here? Please feel free to reach out to us!
Check out how to ease your start at Hof University here!


How can I apply for a Bachelor's or Master's program? (Updated May 4, 21)

You can apply via our Primuss Application Portal.

Please note that an application is only possible during the application period.

Applications via post or email will not be considered.

Check out our video tutorial on application here.

Do I have to apply via uni-assist? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

This depends on the program you are applying for. You can find an overview of all programs that currently require uni-assist before application via Primuss here.

For uni-assist application, no documents have to be sent via post.

Where can I find the application deadline? (Updated Apr. 8, 21)

There are different deadlines for our programs. You can find an overview here. Any exceptions, extension etc. you can see directly in Primuss application portal.

Please note that applications submitted after the deadline can no longer be accepted, even if you are already registered in Primuss portal.

What requirements do I have to fulfill in order to get an admission? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

There are different requirements for our Bachelor‘s and Master’s programs. For specifics, please have a look at the homepage of the program you wish to apply for. You can find all of our programs here.

Is my certificate/degree accepted for admission? Can you check my document(s) and tell me whether I'm eligible to apply? (Updated Nov. 11, 21)

Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to pre-check any documents via email before application. In addition, we cannot transfer any foreign grades and credits into ECTS system before you have officially applied.

If you are unsure if your previous degree/school education is sufficient to study in Germany, please check this here in the DAAD database by entering your data. You can also see the Anabin database by the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (KMK) (in German only). If you want to have your grades transferred into ECTS, you can have your documents checked by uni-assist before application via Primuss (obligatory for all Bachelor’s and some Master’s programs).

The decision whether your degree/documents are accepted for admission is solely made by the examination board after reviewing your application that you submitted via Primuss portal. If you fulfill the requirements mentioned on the website of your desired study program, we encourage you to send your application via Primuss portal during the application period. There is no application fee.

Can I be admitted if I do not fulfill all requirements but have work experience in a relevant field for the study program instead? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

No. You can only be admitted if you fulfill all requirements for the program.

All documents accepted to fulfill the requirements are mentioned on the website of the study program as well as in the study and examination regulations. Relevant work-experience cannot compensate for other missing requirements such as German skills, for instance.

Can I apply for more than one program? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Yes. You can apply for different programs within the application period via Primuss portal.

Can I apply with a VPD from uni-assist issued for another University or other semester? (Updated Nov. 29, 21)

Yes, you can apply with a VPD (Vorprüfungsdokument) that uni-assist issued you before even if it was aimed at another University.

You can also apply with a VPD that was issued for an earlier semester.

Please note that the decision on accepting documents is solely made by the examination board in each individual case.

Do I have to send my documents via post? Do the documents have to be officially approved by my local embassy? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

No. The application process is entirely online. Please do not send any application documents via post, as they will not be considered.

Also, you do NOT have to have your documents be approved by your local embassy for application. During the application process, please upload originals or certified copies of your documents (including translations if necessary).  In case there are any doubts about the validity of certain documents, we might ask you to send the officially approved version of the documents during the application process.

Can I submit certain documents after the application deadline? I do not receive my language/degree certificate in time. (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

The examination board of the study program decides on extending deadlines and accepting documents later. Usually this is not possible and all documents must be submitted by the application deadline. In the unlikely case that the examination board decided to extend the application or submission deadline, you can find an updated deadline mentioned in Primuss application portal.

Can I apply via an agency? (Updated Oct. 16, 20)

Hof University does not work together with any agencies in Germany or abroad for recruiting students.

There are no advantages for students applying through agencies in Primuss application portal. On the contrary, it is necessary that you inform yourself from the beginning of the application/admission process about all necessary steps. We do not communicate with agents on students’ behalf. Further, we do not send any documents/information via email that agents might have missed in the application portal. Therefore, we do not support applications via agencies and strongly recommend all students to apply on their own.

Where can I find more information about the study program (e.g. module descriptions)? (Updated Apr.9, 21)

Specific information, you can usually find linked on the homepage of the study program.

Further, all study and examination regulations (SPO) are accessible here.

Module descriptions for all programs can be found here.

Do I get another (final) admission letter/ hard copy in addition to the PDF in Primuss? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

No. You can use the admission letter provided in Primuss for all purposes. If your embassy requires a hard copy for the visa process (this is usually not the case!), please get in touch with admission@hof-university.LÖSCHEN.de

I received a rejection even though I fulfill all requirements and submitted all required documents via Primuss portal within the given deadline. Whom can I contact? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Please get in touch with our admission office via this email.

I have another question about application. Whom should I contact? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Please get in touch with our admission office via this email.


Why do I have to prove German skills with application if the program is taught in English? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Most of our English-taught programs require basic German skills on level A1.

For studying and living in Hof basic German skills are a big help for communication in everyday life. You cannot expect people in the region to understand English when shopping, on public transportation or at authorities. It will be easier to connect with German students as well if you demonstrate an interest in the German language as part of the German culture.

Furthermore, for most English-taught programs, you will have to apply for an internship throughout your second semester in Germany already. The higher your German skills, the more options you will have and offers you will receive. In most companies, the language, which is spoken, is German. This is why we recommend to make an effort on learning German as this will help you to find an internship and to be part of the workforce.

Can I submit my German language certificate later, at the beginning of semester or at the end of the first semester? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

For all programs that require German skills on any level, the certificate must be submitted within the deadline mentioned in Primuss application portal.

The specific requirements for certain programs, you can find on the respective website.

Does Hof University offer preparatory German language courses? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Hof University does not offer any preparatory German courses for visa or admission purposes.

For all enrolled international students in regular Bachelor's or Master's degree programs, Hof University offers preparatory German courses during the Orientation Program shortly before the start of the semester. These courses are free of charge.

This does not apply to students of our Graduate School programs - for these programs, German is part of their curriculum during the semester.

Does Hof University offer German language courses that I can attend once I am admitted or enrolled as a student? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

Yes, we do!

For all enrolled international students in regular Bachelor's or Master's degree programs, Hof University offers preparatory German courses during the Orientation Program shortly before the start of the semester (this does not apply to students of our Graduate School).

Further, we offer German and other language courses for all enrolled students at Hof University during the semester. All of our language courses are free of charge for enrolled students at Hof University.

Please note: We do not offer any preparatory German courses for visa or admission purposes.

Do I have to take a TOEFL or IELTS test for admission? (Updated May 3, 22)

For programs taught in English, you have to prove your English skills with application.

Please see the requirements for your specific study program for details on what kind of certificates you should submit. The examination board decides if your proof (test, confirmation about medium of instruction etc.) is accepted for admission only AFTER you have submitted your application. The specific requirements for certain programs, you can find on their website.

Can I submit a certificate that confirms that the language of instruction of my Bachelor’s/ my school education was English? (Updated May 3, 22)

Yes, you can upload such a confirmation in the Primuss application portal. Please note that the decision on accepting such documents is solely made by the examination board when reviewing your application.

Please note that for programs requiring IELTS or TOEFL test visa authorities might not accept medium of instruction confirmations. Therefore, we strongly recommend to take the test in time for a smooth visa process.


Is there a fee for my study program? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

You can find this information on the website of your study program.

Most regular Bachelor’s and Master’s programs do not have a tuition fee.

For all of our Graduate School programs, there is a tuition fee - you can find the fee structure here.

For all programs, there is a mandatory administrative student service fee of around 100 EUR per semester. The amount is due each semester until a certain deadline before the start of the following semester. The exact fee that you have to pay for the first semester will be mentioned in your admission letter. This fee includes for instance your semester ticket, which you can use to travel by bus for free in Hof and between Hof and our second campus Münchberg. More information on this fee is available in German here.

Is there an application fee? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

No. Application via our Primuss application portal is free of charge.

Please note: For some programs, you have to apply via uni-assit e.V. first and upload the confirmation (VPD) you receive from uni-assist in Primuss application portal. Uni-assist raises a small handling fee for this. You can find the details here.

Does Hof University offer scholarships for financing my studies? (Updated Apr. 8, 21)

At Hof University, we do not offer scholarships that will cover the entire living and tuition expenses for our study programs. After completing the first semester, overachieving students may apply for partial scholarships such as the “Deutschlandstipendium”.

In addition, international scholarships are offered through DAAD. Interested students have to apply there directly.

Can you send me an official letter confirming the approximate expenses for my studies (fee and living expenses)? (Updated Dec. 11, 21)

After you have been admitted, you can download the document „Fee Structure“ from Primuss application portal together with your admission letter. This letter includes expected expenses for: administrative fee, tuition fee (if applicable), amount of living costs (rent, health insurance, food & personal expenditure). Further, you can find the living expenses overview here on our website.

Proof of expected financial expenses for student loan companies:
Please note that the University cannot confirm any other expenses you might encounter in preparation for or during your studies. As you are responsible yourself for personal expenses (such as study materials, laptops, internet access etc.) we cannot confirm costs of such additional expenditure. Moreover, in case you require a visa and therefore proof of financial ressources, you can ask your local embassy for confirmation of the amount to show any loan provider. As it is no University requirement, we cannot provide such confirmation.

When is the payment deadline and can it be extended? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

The payment deadlines are final but differ for our programs. Your individual deadline for the first semester is mentioned in your admission letter. If there is no deadline given, please consult the admission office. For higher semesters, you can find the re-registration deadline in Primuss student portal and here.

When can I receive a payment receipt/confirmation that the University has received my fee? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

After the University has received your tuition and/or administrative fee, you will find a payment confirmation document in Primuss portal.

Please note that international payments and this process might take 2-3 weeks. For this reason, please do not ask for updates within 3 weeks after you initiated your payment. 

Are international students allowed to work in Germany to finance their studies? (Updated Apr. 8, 21)

Students from abroad are allowed to work a limited number of hours (120 days, alternatively 240 half days or student assistant) without a work permit. Exceptions apply to students from the EU and some other countries. More information is available here.

Though part-time work is legally possible, we recommend our international students to be financially covered for at least the first semester without taking part-time jobs. Our study programs are almost always full-time for international students and will require the students’ full concentration to complete. After the exams in the first semester went well, you can then look for a part-time job in the semester break (for instance in retail).


Is health insurance mandatory? Which health insurance do I need for enrolment? (Updated Nov. 11, 21)

Yes. For enrolment, you are legally required to have a valid health insurance.

What type of health insurance you need depends on different factors, such as student status, age and country of origin. Please see our guide here to find out which insurance you need. NOT accepted for enrollment are any travel insurances, though they might be required for your visa process.

ALL international students have to contact a statutory German health insurance provider in time before the semester start, even if you cannot arrive in Germany in time for the semester start. For details, please have a look in the guide for international students available in Primuss together with your admission letter or check out our website here.

Can you recommend a health insurance provider? (Updated May 4, 21)

The University is not allowed to recommend health insurance companies. Please do your research on the options available to you and choose a provider who offers appropriate service for your individual situation.

When do i have to submit a health insurance certificate? Can I apply for insurance after I have arrived in Germany? (Updated Aug. 13, 21)

You must have a valid health insurance for enrollment.

Please note that you must NOT submit a certificate to the University directly. Instead, a statutory German health insurance provider must inform Hof University about your insurance status.

As enrollment for international students will be conducted online before the start of the orientation period, it is essential that you apply for a valid health insurance in time BEFORE your arrival to Germany. More information you can find in the guide for international students available in Primuss together with your admission letter.

Do I need a German health insurance if I study online? (Updated Apr. 22, 22)

A valid health insurance is required for enrollment and receiving your student credentials when studying from abroad. Therefore, all students have to contact a German statutory health insurance provider in time before enrollment, i.e. before departure to Germany.

However, your insurance company can exempt you from paying the fee for the time you cannot use your German health insurance because you are still in your home country. Current regulations allow students living abroad to study online without paying for a German health insurance.

More information you can find in our moodle guide for international students (link and information in your admission letter).


What is the process for applying for a student visa? (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

To apply for your student visa, please get in touch with your local German embassy. You must apply at the German embassy in the country you are currently residing. You can find your nearest embassy here. More information is also vailable here.

The German embassy in my home country is currently closed/does not accept new applications. I cannot apply for a visa appointment. What should I do? (Updated Apr. 22, 22)

Please check the website of your local embassy regularly for updates. There, you will be informed if you can apply at another embassy/in another country. As soon as a visa application is possible, you are obliged to apply for a student visa for entering Germany - even if you start(ed) your studies online.

After you have received your visa, you are required to come to Hof/Münchberg for your studies. Please make sure that you have either confirmed your place of stay in Hof/Münchberg. We do not recommend to stay in a hotel/hostel for a longer period of time as you cannot complete necessary steps after arrival (bank account, registration etc.) without a permanent address.

In case of any questions related to online-studying options, please contact the head of your study program (regular programs only. Graduate School students, please check the latest FAQs here). 

There is a long wait list for visa appointments in my country. Can the University contact the embassy to speed up the process so that I can arrive in time for the semester start? (Updated Apr. 9, 21)

We are aware that visa appointments are limited in some countries and there might be a waiting time of several months. However, the University cannot speed up the visa process. We are not in contact with any embassies or have any influence on the waiting times or outcome of visa applications. The decision is made on a high political level, which we cannot influence in any direction.

Can I get a letter confirming that my physical presence is necessary? (Updated Sept. 2, 22)

Physical Presence Letters are not required for visa application or entry to Germany. They will NOT speed up the visa process. Therefore, such letters will not be issued.


Can I get a letter confirming that I can arrive later than the semester start (i.e. extension letter)? (Updated Apr. 22, 21)

Such a letter is not required as your admission letter confirms the latest starting date.

Students facing entry/visa restrictions can contact the head of their study program to discuss options on starting their studies online. Students of our Graduate School, please check the latest FAQs here.

Whom should I name as a reference in my visa application? Which address should I give? (Updated Apr. 8, 21)

During your visa application process, you might be asked to give a reference person and/or contact details of the University. Please mention the person who signed your admission letter as a reference. In the admission letter, you can also find their contact details, including the address of the University and phone number.

Can I bring my family while I am studying in Germany? (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

This depends on your individual situation. EU-citizen usually can bring their spouses/children without a visa. Non-EU citizen can also bring their spouse/under-age children when certain conditions are met, among others:

  • Valid residence in Germany
  • Separate visa applications/appointments for all accompanying family members
  • Proof of sufficient financial resources for all accompanying family members
  • Basic German skills (exceptions for some countries) of spouse
  • Valid health insurance for all accompanying family members
  • Proof of housing

It is best to inform yourself at your local German embassy about the requirements for your individual situation. Moreover, you can have a look at the information provided here and here.

Can I stay in Germany after I finish my studies? (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

Yes, non-EU nationals are allowed to stay in Germany for some time after completing their studies successfully even when no longer enrolled. For the period between graduating and finding a job, it is possible to extend your residence permit for 18-months. Once you have been accepted for a job, you will have to apply for a work visa. More information is available here.


How can I apply for accommodation? (Updated Apr. 22, 22)

All information about how to apply for support from our housing office in finding accommodation in Hof or Münchberg you receive in the moodle guide for international students (information and link in your admission letter).

Hof University provides no housing to individuals who come to Hof without prior application and confirmed individual offer.

How can I book accommodation with the Housing Office? I do not know when I will be allowed to travel to Germany during the semester. (Updated Nov. 17, 21)

If you need help with finding a place to stay whenever you come to Hof, please see the guide for international students available in Primuss with your admission letter. Follow the steps for registering in moodle portal and fill the Accommodation Application in moodle as soon as possible. After you have paid your fee and filled your application you will receive an email from the Housing Office explaining the further steps. You will not receive an offer for a room without your acceptance of the rule that your room reservation is not depending on your visa or travel status. Nevertheless, please apply for accommodation as soon as possible, as rooms are allocated based on the principle “first come, first serve”. All details about your room option will be mentioned in your individual offer.


When will I be officially enrolled? When can I get my enrollment certificate? (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

The official enrolment will be conducted online before the semester start (before September 30 or March 14). Enrollment is only possible if

  • the complete fee mentioned in your admission letter has been paid
  • all required documents have been submitted via Primuss
  • you have taken out a valid health insurance and contacted a public health insurance provider about your enrollment.

Once you have been enrolled, you will receive an automated email about this.

Your enrolment certificate will be available to download at the end of September (WS) or mid-March (SS) after you have received your student credentials.


What are the steps after my arrival in Hof/Münchberg? Where can I find information? (Updated Apr. 22, 22)

After your arrival, you must complete some administrative steps for living in Germany such as city registration or opening a bank account/activating your blocked account. Also, you must arrange formalities for your studies, e.g. updating your address in Primuss portal or, at the semester start, organize your courses. All enrolled students can find information about the process after arrival in our moodle portal here.

Where do I get my campus card after arrival? (Updated Dec. 22, 21)

Students who gave a German address with application will receive their campus card via post to the address in Germany given with the application.

Students who were living outside of Germany by the time of application and move to Germany for their studies:
Campus cards will NOT be sent to addresses outside of Germany.
One week BEFORE your arrival in Germany, please log in the Primuss STUDENT portal and update your address. Afterwards, please send one email to the admission office and give your move-in date at the new German address. Your campus card will then be sent via post to your German address. Please make sure your full name is on your mailbox outside of your apartment/building so that the mail carriers can find you!

Please note: If we have not received information about your health insurance status because you failed to contact a German statutory health insurance provider, you will not be enrolled and your campus card cannot be created and will not be sent.



Campus Hof

95028 Hof

Campus Münchberg

Kulmbacher Str. 76
95213 Münchberg

Campus Kronach

Kulmbacher Straße 11
96317 Kronach

Fon: +49 (0) 9281 / 409 3000

Campus Selb

Wittelsbacher Str.41
95100 Selb
Fon: +49 (0) 9281 / 409 3000