Skip to main content


What costs can I expect during my study stay in Hof?

Find out in our expenses chart!

Expenses chart

Working in Germany

What are my options for working during my studies?

Check our overview of the employment law framework for international students.

Legal framework for working in Germany


Are there any scholarships available for international degree-seeking students at Hof University?

Find out more about whether you are eligible for a scholarship.

Scholarships for degree-seeking students

Expenses chart for studying at Hof University

monthly expenses:

Expense forAmountFurther information
Accommodation*350€ - 550€

Incl. rent, water, energy, broadcast fee and internet. Housing options

Health insurance120€Amount for statutory student health insurance - expenses for private health insurance contracts vary
Personal Expenses*150€Clothes, sports, recreational activities etc.
Cell phone contract*20€For unlimited texting & talking and 5 GB of data (without phone)
Total820€ - 1.020€* 

expenses per semester:

Expense forAmountFurther information
Semester fee130€Specific amount changes per semester. More information about the semester fee
Tuition fee0€For exchange students sent from partner universities and students in regular bachelor's and master's programs

Fee Structure

Only for students in programs offerd by our Graduate School

one-time PAYMENTs:

Expense forAmountFurther information
Residence permit100€only for non-EU students
Rent deposit300€ - 400€ 
Total400€ - 500€ 

* Specific amount depends on personal circumstances and individual lifestyle preferences.

Working during your studies

Naturally, most students can do with a bit of extra income. Please note, however, that labor law regulations put some limits to the employment of international students. For many jobs, you also need to speak fluent German.

If you are a citizen of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, the same regulations apply as for German students. While you do not need a work permit, you should not work more than 19 hours a week, otherwise you will have to pay social security contributions.

If you come from a non EU country, you are allowed to work 140 full days or 280 half days per year. If you wish to work more, you need a work permit issued by the Federal Employment Agency and the Immigration Office. Important to know: You may exceed the 140-day limit if you work as a student or research assistant at the university. However, you must inform the Immigration Office in this case as well.

Please note that this limit does not apply to mandatory internships which are part of your study program. A letter quoting the respective passage from your exam regulations will be enough for your company (the Student Affairs Office can issue such a letter for you).

Further information are here:  Study in Germany & Make it in Germany

Feel free to contact Career Service or your local Immigration Office directly if you have any questions on this topic. 

Scholarships for full-time international students

Hof University offers scholarships aimed at providing financial support to foreign students to cover extra costs for living and study materials during their studies.

Funded by the Bavarian Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts, the DAAD (Stipet III) and Hof University Graduate School (only relevant for Graduate School students), the scholarships are subject to the reception of funds from those sources. Therefore, the distributed amount varies from semester to semester. 

Application deadlines:

Applications for summer semester: approx. end of April

Applications for winter semester: approx. end of October


You can find all relevant information at a glance in our info leaflet on scholarships.

  • International students must be enrolled as full-time students (exchange students are not eligible to apply) at Hof University for the respective semester.
  • International students must be academically (previous examination performance) and personally qualified. Foreign students enrolled in Bachelor courses must have achieved a minimum of 90 ECTS to be eligible, Master students must have achieved a minimum of 30 ECTS at Hof University. Please attach a transcript of records. 
  • International students must be a resident in Germany.
  • International students in financial need will be favored. Hochschule Hof may at any time ask for proof of given information.

Students receiving any additional public funding (e.g. BAföG, DAAD, Erasmus, any kind of governmental scholarship) for the same period of time cannot be considered and are exempted from this scholarship!

  • Completed online application form
  • Proof of enrolment
  • Latest transcript of record with average rating
  • Cover letter with short CV
  • Proof of nationality (e.g. copy of passport)

Only complete and legible applications will be considered.

Please note: Only students already enrolled at Hof University are eligible for these scholarships. They are not granted prior to admission.

For more information regarding other scholarship opportunities, please consult the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) database.