Master in Software Engineering for Industrial Applications (M.Eng.)
"Choosing to go to Hof University to pursue my master’s degree was a difficult but ultimately incredibly rewarding experience. It allowed me to expand my professional and social skills while experiencing the history, culture and natural beauty of Germany. The lectures were engaging and covered relevant topics which were further developed during my internship. After I finished my degree, I was hired immediately in my field of interest and I look forward to continuing living in Germany."
Graduate Master Software Engineering from U.S.A.
A unique combination of theory and practice
Our MEng program in Software Engineering for Industrial Applications is focused on extensive training assignments as well as theoretical courses, which are aimed at imparting technological and organizational knowledge. Students are trained for complex management and engineering tasks in the field of software development for industrial applications. Such applications range from low-level control of production processes to high-level management and logistic tasks. Managing projects in this field requires outstanding technological competence and excellent management and engineering skills, which have to be intensively developed before being applied in highly complex environments.
Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)
|language of instruction||fully taught in English language|
|duration||4 semesters (2 theoretical, 2 practical)|
April 15 to May 31 (winter intake)
November 05 to November 30 (summer intake)
|academic dates including orientation session|
mid-September - March 14 (winter semester)
March - September 30 (summer semester)
EUR 3,150 in tuition fees per semester (i.e.a total of EUR 12,600)
plus approx. EUR 100 student union fee per semester
Chances to find attractive employment positions following graduation are excellent. The demand for skilled Software Engineers in Germany is high. That is why most of our students have found interesting and well-paid positions immediately after graduation with companies such as Siemens, ND SatCom, EADS, BOSCH or Texas Instruments, as well as with small and medium-sized companies in the local area of Franconia.
Graduates not only possess cutting-edge technological competence but also excellent management and engineering skills, which are the competitive edge for a high flying career in software engineering!
After graduation, you benefit from
- a unique Master's degree at the interface of management and technology with the degree M.Eng.
- a perfect interdisciplinary toolbox of knowledge and skills for complex management and engineering tasks in the field of software development
- an innovative and diverse mix of teaching methods - virtual learning, blended learning, simulations and case studies besides regular lectures
- German language skills of at least A2 at graduation
- development of your intercultural competence
- excellent career perspectives in various fields, e.g. web technology projects, software design or component oriented software development
"Software Engineering for Industrial Applications was everything I was looking for in a Masters course. It is a well-structured program with exciting modules to deepen your existing knowledge as a Software Developer, which is the main reason I chose to study here. The entire program is taught in English but you also have the opportunity to study German at the University. This really sharpened my German skills and by the second semester I could read and understand some journals written in Deutsch.
There is also a good balance between studies and social life; there are lots of social activities, job fairs, workshops and parties where you meet and learn from people of different cultural backgrounds. The mandatory internship crowns it all by giving you one-year working experience in a German company, this is one of the key benefits of studying here. Studying and living in Hof has been an amazing journey so far!"
Master Software Engineering student from Ghana;
Scholarship holder for his outstanding academic achievement at Hof University Graduate School
- The standard period of study is 4 semesters.
- The first two semesters provide practice orientated theory (case studies, working in labs, excursions, expert meetings…).
- The third and fourth semester is spent working as an intern in a company to gain more practical experience,
training modules will also take place at this time.The Master’s Thesis has to be written during this time as well.
- After successful completion of the program, Hof University of Applied Sciences awards the academic degree Master of Engineering (M. Eng.).
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|120 ECTS in total|
The Mater's program consists of 12 modules, 5 ECTS per module (4 basic modules + 6 core modules + 2 elective modules):
- Project management
- Software engineering
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Internet of things
- Component oriented software development
- Advanced programming
- Concepts and tools for application development
- Practical studies - Industry 4.0
- Non-relational data bases
- Applied cloud computing
- German language A1*
- German language A2* (higher levels also available)
- Analytical information systems
- Mobile computing
- Recent trends in software engineering
* If you do not have any German language skills at the beginning of the studies, the modules German A1 and A2 are mandatory. Other elective modules may be passed as additional modules but will not count toward your degree and can be charged with an extra fee.
Students having advanced German language knowledge on level A2 or higher are free in choosing two elective modules. German language B1, B2 or C1 can also be selected as electives.
The 3rd and 4th semesters are dedicated for an internship in a company, training modules (30 ECTS) will also take place at this time. During that period of study the Master's thesis (30 ECTS) has to be written as well. For entering the internship, all students should have the German language level A2.
- Application of the methodological procedures, which were obtained and trained during the entire program.
- The thesis has to be written during the internship and should cover a current topic of the company.
A unique feature of this M.Eng. is that students spend the second year (third and fourth semester) doing a practical internship in industry (e.g. in a web technology or software development project). Also the Master thesis is project-based and done in cooperation with a company. Thus, you can immediately apply your knowledge, gain profound professional experience and earn money at the same time.
"Studying Masters in Software Engineering at Hof University has been a memorable experience for me. The curriculum offers a wide range of modules that covers topics from different areas of software engineering. One year of mandatory internship allowed me to get more practical insight on TYPO3 CMS which was one of the modules in the course and after finishing my internship, I was offered a job in that field. Additionally, compulsory German modules have helped me improve my German skills which makes it easier to get settled in Germany. Apart from the studies, I attended many social events organised by the University which gave me the opportunity to connect with other students."
graduate M.Eng. Software Engineering from India
For an admission in this Master program, you need to fulfill the following admission criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or similar from an accredited university, at least 180 ECTS or equivalent (depending on the home country)
- Proficiency in English, proven by either
- official test score documents (TOEFL minimum 90 or IELTS 6.5 or above) or
- confirmation that the Bachelor’s program was taught completely in English language
- One year of relevant work experience
For further information please check our application guide.
All applications must be done via our online application portal.
- The application period for winter intake is between April 15 and May 31.
- The application period for summer intake is between November 05 and November 30.
- An admission committee intensively scrutinizes all applications and decides about final admission. Admission letters will be issued in June for winter intake and December for summer semester intake.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact email@example.com
Tuiton fees and support structure
Each semester costs EUR 3,150 in tuition fees, plus an administrative fee of approx. EUR 100 per semester. These fees include
- organizational support and guidance before your start at Hof University, e.g. assistance with administrative issues
- assistance in finding accommodation
- intensive social and academic guidance during your studies
- two week Orientation Period prior to the start of your studies
- special social and cultural activities for integration
- career-promoting activities such as intercultural trainings, field trips, company visits
- free public transport in the city of Hof
For a full overview on our support for international students and the practical issues of living in Hof, please have a look at the webpages of our Welcome Service.