Master in Software Engineering for Industrial Applications (M.Eng.)
"Choosing to go to Hof University to pursue my master’s degree was a difficult but ultimately incredibly rewarding experience. It allowed me to expand my professional and social skills while experiencing the history, culture and natural beauty of Germany. The lectures were engaging and covered relevant topics which were further developed during my internship. After I finished my degree, I was hired immediately in my field of interest and I look forward to continuing living in Germany."
Graduate Master Software Engineering from U.S.A.
A unique combination of theory and practice
Our MEng program in Software Engineering for Industrial Applications is focused on extensive training assignments as well as theoretical courses, which are aimed at imparting technological and organizational knowledge. Students are trained for complex management and engineering tasks in the field of software development for industrial applications. Such applications range from low-level control of production processes to high-level management and logistic tasks. Managing projects in this field requires outstanding technological competence and excellent management and engineering skills, which have to be intensively developed before being applied in highly complex environments.
Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)
|language of instruction||fully taught in English language|
|duration||4 semesters (2 theoretical, 2 practical)|
April 15 to May 31 (winter intake)
November 05 to November 30 (summer intake)
|academic dates including orientation session|
mid-September - March 14 (winter semester)
March - September 30 (summer semester)
EUR 3,150 in tuition fees per semester (i.e.a total of EUR 12,600)
plus approx. EUR 100 student union fee per semester
Chances to find attractive employment positions following graduation are excellent. The demand for skilled Software Engineers in Germany is high. That is why most of our students have found interesting and well-paid positions immediately after graduation with companies such as Siemens, ND SatCom, EADS, BOSCH or Texas Instruments, as well as with small and medium-sized companies in the local area of Franconia.
Graduates not only possess cutting-edge technological competence but also excellent management and engineering skills, which are the competitive edge for a high flying career in software engineering!
After graduation, you benefit from
- a unique Master's degree at the interface of management and technology with the degree M.Eng.
- a perfect interdisciplinary toolbox of knowledge and skills for complex management and engineering tasks in the field of software development
- an innovative and diverse mix of teaching methods - virtual learning, blended learning, simulations and case studies besides regular lectures
- German language skills of at least A2 at graduation
- development of your intercultural competence
- excellent career perspectives in various fields, e.g. web technology projects, software design or component oriented software development
- The standard period of study is 4 semesters.
- The first two semesters provide practice orientated theory (case studies, working in labs, excursions, expert meetings…).
- The third and fourth semester is spent working as an intern in a company to gain more practical experience,
training modules will also take place at this time.The Master’s Thesis has to be written during this time as well.
- After successful completion of the program, Hof University of Applied Sciences awards the academic degree Master of Engineering (M. Eng.).
Course content (starting from winter semester 2020)
The Mater's program consists of 12 modules, 5 ECTS per module (4 basic modules + 6 core modules + 2 elective modules):
- Project management
- Software engineering
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Internet of things
- Component oriented software development
- Advanced programming
- Concepts and tools for application development
- Practical studies - Industry 4.0
- Non-relational data bases
- Applied cloud computing
- German language A1
- German language A2 (higher levels also available)
- Analytical information systems
- Mobile computing
- Recent trends in software engineering
The 3rd and 4th semesters are dedicated for an internship in a company, training modules (30 ECTS) will also take place at this time. During that period of study the Master's thesis (30 ECTS) has to be written as well. For entering the internship, all students should have the German language level A2.
- Application of the methodological procedures, which were obtained and trained during the entire program.
- The thesis has to be written during the internship and should cover a current topic of the company.
A unique feature of this M.Eng. is that students spend the second year (third and fourth semester) doing a practical internship in industry (e.g. in a web technology or software development project). Also the Master thesis is project-based and done in cooperation with a company. Thus, you can immediately apply your knowledge, gain profound professional experience and earn money at the same time.
"The Master Software Engineering has served as a stepping stone for my career into the international frontier. The Master program has improved my tech know-how on state-of-the art technologies such as Cloud Computing and Mobile Application Development, just to name a few. The program is also designed to prepare the students for working in Germany as students are required to take compulsory language courses. At Hof University, ultra modern laboratories and classrooms and a highly sophisticated library make studying very comfortable. There is low student to lecturer ratio, thus students have frequent access to lecturers for dialogue. There is a compulsory one year internship to compliment theory with practicals. The University holds its international students with high esteem, as the Welcome Center assists foreign students in every aspect of life and studies."
John Paul Nguafack,
graduate M.Eng. Software Engineering from Cameroon
For an admission in this Master program, you need to fulfill the following admission criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or similar from an accredited university, at least 180 ECTS or equivalent (depending on the home country)
- Proficiency in English, proven by either
- official test score documents (TOEFL minimum 90 or IELTS 6.5 or above) or
- confirmation that the Bachelor’s program was taught completely in English language
- One year of relevant work experience
For further information please check our application guide.
Please note that a study start in winter semester 2020/21 is guaranteed.
Currently, there are no changes regarding the application process for Software Engineering for Industrial Applications (M.Eng.).
Application is possible from April 15 to May 31. However, we are closely observing the Corona-situation and will react as flexibly as necessary.
The goal is to start lectures on campus. However, we want to give every student the guarantee for a study start in winter semester, even if there are still restrictions due to the corona virus (worldwide or in specific countries). In case of restrictions, we will start with online based teaching (live and recorded lectures, online tutorials and group coaching).
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact graduate.schoolhof-university.LÖSCHEN.de.
All applications must be done via our online application portal.
- The application period for winter intake is between April 15 and May 31.
- The application period for summer intake is between November 05 and November 30.
- An admission committee intensively scrutinizes all applications and decides about final admission. Admission letters will be issued in June for winter intake and December for summer semester intake.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact email@example.com
Tuiton fees and support structure
Each semester costs EUR 3,150 in tuition fees, plus an administrative fee of approx. EUR 100 per semester. These fees include
- organizational support and guidance before your start at Hof University, e.g. with visa application, pick-up service upon arrival in Hof, assistance with administrative issues
- assistance in finding accommodation
- intensive social and academic guidance during your studies
- two week Orientation Period prior to the start of your studies
- special social and cultural activities for integration
- career-promoting activities such as intercultural trainings, field trips, company visits
- free public transport in the city of Hof
For a full overview on our support for international students and the practical issues of living in Hof, please have a look at the webpages of our Welcome Service.
Please get in touch with us!
Kindly use our contact form if you are looking for further information about the Master's program "Software Engineering of Industrial Applications".