Sustainable Water Management and Engineering (M.Eng.)
Preliminary Module Description
Please find here the overview about the lectures of the master program for the current winter semester. Further information will be uploaded on the website soon.
Climate change and a growing world population are only two of many reasons why the requirements for a sustainable and resilient water management are getting ever more complex. New challenges and qualification requirements arise for engineers who today have to be managers as well.
The new Master’s program Sustainable Water Management and Engineering (M.Eng.) is designed to meet these challenges and to qualify a new generation of engineers. The program focuses on imparting key competences in management and engineering, flanked by sustainability and digitalization. Based on the latest research in these specialist topics, students train their systematic thinking and communication skills.
|degree awarded||Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)|
|language of instruction||fully taught in English language|
|duration||three semesters (including Master thesis)|
Application period for winter semester:
Application period for summer semester
Online via our application portal PRIMUSS
University entrance certificates from abroad must be assessed by uni-assist before sending them to Hof University.
October 1 - March 14 (winter semester)
March 15 - September 30 (summer semester)
|fees||no tuition fees, just an administrative fee of approx. 100 € per semester|
After graduations, you will be able to
- identify and analyze current and future challenges in water management,
- develop appropriate solutions and
- implement and evaluate them in interdisciplinary teams.
In addition, you benefit from
- a unique Master's degree at the interface of technology and management
- a perfect interdisciplinary toolbox of knowledge and skills of engineering and business know-how
- development of your intercultural competence
- excellent career perspectives
"The curriculum and the structure of the course is completely beyond my expectation, incorporating many leading-edge technologies that will definitely have an influence in the future water sector. Sustainability and digitalization are topics for survival in the future and focus fields in this course. The professional expertise of the professors is reflected in the structure of the course and is one of the amazing advantages.
Student life in Hof is exciting with new methods of teaching, international friends and the study atmosphere at the University which is way more different than in my home country India. The support and orientation services offered by the International Office were really helpful to me as an international student and eased the effort in finding out accommodation and getting to know the academic culture in Germany."
Hima Moochikkal Surendran
Student from India
After graduation, you have excellent career opportunities for leading positions in the water sector, both in Germany and abroad, e.g.
- Management tasks in research and construction in the field of water management
- Leading positions in industry, public authorities, and medium-sized companies
- Development or research engineer for nature conservation and environmental protection
- Planning and consulting work in specialized engineering offices
- Activity as an expert and appraiser
The first and second semester of this Master's program contain ten mandatory modules plus one elective (in total 60 ECTS):
- Sustainability Management
- International Water and Risk Management
- Water and Society
- International Water Resources Management
- Advanced Water Treatment
- Wastewater Discharge and Sewer Network with Structures
- Water Quality and Water Cycle
- Smart Water
- R&D or Industrial Project
- New Technologies in the Water Sector
- Project Simulation
- Agile, Traditional and Hybrid Methods in International Project Management
- Intercultural Communication
- International Human Resource Management
- Energy Efficiency in Water Management Systems
- German language A2
- German language B1
Master thesis and internship
The 3rd semester is dedicated to an internship in a company or at the University and a practical Master's Thesis (30 ECTS). The thesis should be written during the internship and should cover a current topic of the company. The topic selection should prior be discussed and decided with the supervising professor.
"The program is very future-oriented!"
Why do you think so?
"In this study program, the global problems of our water supply in the near future are highlighted (for instance water scarcity due to overpopulation). In addition, the latest technologies that the market already offers, and ongoing research are given to the students so that they can react adequately to any situation in their later professional life (e.g. digitalization, water cycle, water management, smart city concepts...)."
What else do you like about Hof?
"When it comes to housing, the city of Hof is very cheap and at the same time, the entire university is practically a new building. You can see that not only in the buildings but also in the mentality.“
Student from Germany
The Master’s program is based on a hands-on, interdisciplinary concept. Current topics like sustainability, water risk management and water resource management are interconnected with classic technologies such as water treatment, sewage disposal and water circulation. Above all, the three dimensions of sustainability are considered: the economic efficiency, social responsibility and ecological compatibility.
Theory and hands-on training are closely connected, e.g. in group projects at partner companies. Study excursions to pioneering water management facilities or to innovative tech companies as well as discussions with experts from research and industry form an important part of the Master’s program.
For an admission in this Master's program, you need to fulfill the following admission criteria:
- First degree from a recognized university with at least 210 credits according to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or an equivalent degree in engineering or natural sciences providing sufficient knowledge in environmental engineering, water technology and chemistry; minimum grade 2,5 according to the German grading system
- Sufficient knowledge in environmental engineering, water technology and chemistry means at least 5 credits (or their equivalent) were achieved in each of these areas
Applicants with less than 210 credits (ECTS) will be accepted but have to gain the missing credits by either
doing an internship (at least 20 weeks) as long as no internship was done during the Bachelor’s degree.
Attending appropriate modules at Hof University (for applicants who already did an internship). For both alternatives, please calculate a fourth (extra) semester.
Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL with a minimum score of 90 or IELTS 6.5 or above or other equivalent language certificate from a recognized institution, not older than three years)
Proof of basic German language skills for applicants from abroad (Certificate for minimum level A1 according to the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR))
All applications must be submitted via our online application portal PRIMUSS.
If you acquired your university entrance certificate abroad, uni-assist must assess the certificate before you can send it to Hof University. We advise you to send your documents to uni-assist at least 4 weeks before the application deadline at Hof University.
Application period for winter semester:
- for EU applicants: May 1 – July 15
- for non-EU applicants: April 15 - May 31
Application period for summer semester
- for EU applicants: November 15 – January 15
- for non-EU applicants: November 5- November 30
Start of study: 15th of March for the summer semester, 1st of October for the winter semester
An admission committee intensively scrutinizes all applications and decides about final admission. Admission letters will be issued in June for winter intake and December for summer semester intake.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact email@example.com.