Master in Operational Excellence (M.B.A. and Eng.)
"Through the Operational Excellence program, it is possible to reflect on how innovation, leadership, teamwork and new tools merge to allow for competitive advantage and value creation. Studying at Hof University represents an opportunity for interacting with like-minded people and motivating each other in reaching professional and personal goals. Particularly, I like the University's practice-oriented approach and its commitment on the continuous development of the German language abilities for international students."
Student M.B.A. and Eng. Operational Excellence from El Salvador
You already earned a Bachelor of Engineering and gathered some professional experience? You are interested in modern business and production processes and the secrets of “Made in Germany”? Then our Master program in Operational Excellence is just right for you.
Our business-oriented modules provide you with the strategic and financial framework of companies. Find out about the critical factors for success in leadership and change processes and how to master them with expert communication and negotiation skills. On the engineering side, the focus is on operational excellence, particularly on methods such as lean management, Six Sigma, agile management, digitalization and Industry 4.0.
With our holistic management approach, we also look at business operations such as purchasing or IT. Our teaching methods include various modern methods like cloud-based simulations, haptic management games and case studies.
|degree awarded||Master of Business Administration and Engineering (M.B.A. and Eng.)|
|language of instruction||fully taught in English language|
|duration||4 semesters (2 theoretical, 2 practical)|
|application deadlines||April 15 - May 31 (winter intake)|
November 05 - November 30 (summer intake)
|academic dates including|
|mid-September - March 14 (winter semester)|
March - September 30 (summer semester)
EUR 3,150 in tuition fees per semester (i.e. a total of EUR 12,600) plus approx. EUR 100 in student union fee per semester
After graduation, you benefit from
- a unique Master's degree at the interface of management and technology with the special degree M.B.A. and Eng.
- a perfect interdisciplinary toolbox of knowledge and skills of engineering and business know-how
- an innovative and diverse mix of teaching methods - virtual learning, blended learning, simulations and case studies besides regular lectures
- German language skills of at least B1 at graduation
- development of your intercultural competence
- excellent career perspectives in various fields, e.g. production management, factory planning or supply chain management
“The decision to study the Operational Excellence master’s program at Hof University was simply one of the best decisions I have ever made throughout my professional career. This program emphasizes on management topics for quality, logistics, production. Also, I learnt about German industry 4.0 which makes the difference for companies in Germany. The practical experience of the internship and master thesis helped me understand the true German operational excellence and to get truly integrated."
Graduate Operational Excellence from Honduras
- The standard period of study is 4 semesters.
- The first two semesters provide practice orientated theory (case studies, working in labs, excursions, expert meetings…).
- The third and fourth semester is spent working as an intern in a production facility or SCM department to gain more practical experience. The Master’s Thesis has to be written during this time as well.
- After successful completion of the program, Hof University of Applied Sciences awards the academic degree Master of Business Administration and Engineering (M.B.A. and Eng.).
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3||Semester 4|
|120 ECTS in total|
The Master’s program contains 12 modules, 5 ECTS per module (4 basic modules + 6 core modules + 2 elective modules):
- Applied Economics and Research on the German Market
- Communication and Negotiation Skills
- Leadership and Change Management
- Strategic and Financial Framework
- Factory Planning and Engineering
- Production Process Excellence
- Quality Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Industry 4.0/Data Management
- Production Execution and Logistics
- Information and Process Management
- Corporate Strategy and Controlling
- Project Management
- Procurement Management and Risk Management
- Industrial Marketing and Sales Strategies
- Recent Trends in Operational Excellence
- German language A2*
- German language B1*
* If you have a German language level of A1 at the point of admission, the modules German A2 and B1 are mandatory. Other elective modules may be passed as additional modules but will not count toward your degree and can be charged with an extra fee.
Students having advanced German language knowledge on level B1 or higher are free in choosing two elective modules. German language B2 or C1 can also be selected as electives.
The 3rd and 4th semester are dedicated to an internship (30 ECTS) in a company and a practical Master's Thesis (30 ECTS). For entering the internship, all students have to prove at least the German language level B1.
- Application of the methodological procedures, which were obtained and trained during the entire program.
- The thesis should be written during the internship and should cover a current topic of the company.
- Topic selection has to be done in accordance with the supervising professor.
A unique feature of our M.B.A. and Eng. is that students spend the second year (third and fourth semester) doing a practical internship in industry (e.g. in a production facility or SCM department). Also the Master thesis is project-based and done in cooperation with a company. Thus, you can immediately apply your knowledge, gain profound professional experience and earn money at the same time.
"I grew personally and professionally after collecting an exceptional work experience during my internship at Volkswagen AG in Wolfsburg and writing my Master Thesis at Skoda Auto in Mladá Boleslav, Czech Republic. I am now working at Skoda Auto in the same department as Project Manager after successfully completing my Master Thesis, thanks to the Master degree program offered at Hof University.
The program offers a one year theoretical knowledge in the relevant fields and grants an opportunity to further apply it within the industries for the next whole year. Thus, individuals are developed to be employable and industry ready."
Graduate Operational Excellence from India
For an admission in this Master program, you need to fulfill the following admission criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree or similar from an accredited university in engineering sciences, at least 180 ECTS or equivalent (depending on the home country)
- Proficiency in English, proven by either
- official test score documents (TOEFL minimum 90 or IELTS 6.5 or above) or
- confirmation that the Bachelor’s program was taught completely in English language
- Basic language skills in German, proven by official test score documents (e.g. Goethe, telc, ÖSD) - minimum level A1 according to the CEFR (The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- In individual cases, other certificates can be accepted, if they contain at least the following information: name and address of issuing institution, responsible persons/teachers, level according to the CEFR, content and grade of the exam).
- Attendance certificates are not sufficient as proof of basic German language skills.
- One year of work experience
For further information please check our application guide.
All applications must be done via our online application portal.
- The application period for winter intake is between April 15 and May 31.
- The application period for summer intake is between November 05 and November 30.
- An admission committee intensively scrutinizes all applications and decides about final admission. Admission letters will be issued in June for winter intake and December for summer semester intake.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact email@example.com.
Tuition fees and support structure
Each semester costs EUR 3,150 in tuition fees, plus an administrative fee of approx. EUR 100 per semester. These fees include
- organizational support and guidance before your start at Hof University, e.g. assistance with administrative issues
- assistance in finding accommodation
- intensive social and academic guidance during your studies
- two week Orientation Period prior to the start of your studies
- special social and cultural activities for integration
- career-promoting activities such as intercultural trainings, field trips, company visits
- free public transport in the city of Hof
For a full overview on our support for international students and the practical issues of living in Hof, please have a look at the webpages of our Welcome Service.