The ifm is the research unit of the Engineering Department of the Hof University of Applied Sciences and optimizes the application-oriented realization of research and development projects with industrial partners. The institute regards itself as a service provider for companies looking for support for their new development projects. We help from the basic research to the industrial application!
The ifm provides:
- The utilization of its scientific and engineering core competencies
- Cooperation with highly specialized research groups as “innovative textiles”
- Interdisciplinary cooperation integrating the basic disciplines
- Competence in the successful application for funds in national and international programs
Find out more about the Institute for Materials Science.
Iisys is the institute for the Department of Computer Science and a competence center for the operational application of information systems. It serves as a bridge between this field of international research and development and the final application in companies.
Currently the following research groups work in the institute:
- Analytical Information Systems (Prof. Dr. Jörg Scheidt)
- Cyberphysical Systems (Prof. Dr. Valentin Plenk)
- Multimedia Information Systems (Prof. Dr. Richard Göbel)
- Law in Sustainability, Compliance and IT (Prof. Dr. Beatrix Weber)
- System Integration (Prof. Dr. René Peinl)
- Visual Analytics (Prof. Dr. Claus Atzenbeck)
Find out more about the Institute for Information Systems.
The Institute for Water and Energy Management (iwe) is an interdisciplinary center of excellence within the Engineering Department of the University of Applied Sciences Hof. Research projects in the diverse fields of water and energy technology are initiated and conducted in an application-orientated manner. The Institute sees itself as an innovative device, which provides an efficient dialogue between science and entrepreneurial practice through looking at current and practical topics.
The iwe provides:
- A high degree of interdisciplinary know-how
- Support for research and development services
- Project development and management
- Competences in successful funding acquisition.
Find out more about the Institute for Water and Energy Management.
The institute understands itself as a competence center for industrial applications of bioplastics/biopolymers and sustainable developments for polymer solutions with the goal of product development and resource conservation. It links the international research and development in those fields with actual product development in companies.
The research and development work focuses on independence from petroleum-based products, reduction of plastic waste, prevention of microplastics formation and circular economy solutions.
This results in 4 main areas of research:
Production of bioplastics/biopolymers
Development of natural bioplastics and biogenic additives through the extraction of carbohydrates and secondary plant substances, modification of biopolymers as well as fine grinding and drying.
Processing of bioplastics/biopolymers
Engineering processing of biopolymers using compounding, extrusion and injection molding.
Recycling of plastics and bioplastics
Recycling both biopolymers and increasing the recyclability of products made from conventional plastics.
Sustainability in product development
Increasing sustainability in plastics processing, for example, by reducing the use of materials and adapting the product design.
Find more about the Institut for Biopolymers