Master in Sustainability Management (M.B.A. and Eng.)
Sustainability Management (M.B.A. and Eng.) is a collaborative program between Vishwakarma University, Pune, and Hof University of Applied Sciences. A unique feature of Sustainability Management is that all students will have the chance to study and experience the meaning of Sustainability Management in India and in Germany, in the context of a Newly Industrialized Country as well as in an established industrial nation.
Students of the Master's program in Sustainability Management gain a deep understanding of state-of-the-art business management techniques and latest sustainable methods. This program covers the positive aspects of the inevitable interaction between businesses and the environment. The knowledge transfer bases on interdisciplinary learning, one of the fundamental requirements in our modern society.
For this Master's program, we have a strong focus on a high level of practice-orientation and employability of our graduates. This is for example achieved through case studies which are embedded in the lectures. Moreover, modern concepts like business simulations are part of some classes so that students can draw decisions themselves and learn about the implications of their decisions. Modern methodologies like SCRUM method of agile project management are taught and practiced in class. Also blended learning concepts are used so that the German lecturers can be part of the study program from day one onwards, when the students are still in India. At Hof University Graduate School, interdisciplinary learning plays an important role so that enriching discussions across our various study programs can happen. All professors and lecturers at Hof University possess considerable industry experience so that the knowledge transfer from industry into the classroom is ensured.
Download our program brochure!
|degree awarded||Master of Business Administration and Engineering (M.B.A. and Eng.)|
|mode||1st semester: work-integrated study program at VU campus, Pune, India|
2nd and 3rd semester: full-time practice oriented studies at Hof University, Germany
4th semester: internship and Master Thesis
|duration||4 semesters (3 theoretical, 1 practical semester)|
|application deadline at VU, Pune||December 11, 2020|
|academic dates including|
Start at VU: January 1, 2021
Transition to Hof: Mid of September 2021
|fees||Semester 1: INR 200,000 as tuition at Vishwakarma University|
Semester 2 - 4: EUR 3,690 tuition fee per semester, plus approx. EUR 100 in student union fee per semester
|language of instruction||fully taught in English language|
With this Master's program, you gain
- a perfect interdisciplinary toolbox of knowledge and skills in sustainability management and leadership competence
- excellent career perspectives in international companies in the field of environmental management
- German language skills of at least level B1 at graduation
In addition, you benefit from
- modern and innovative teaching methods such as cloud-based simulations, haptic management games and case studies
- development of your intercultural competence
- valuable work experience gained during the internship semester
The standard duration of this Master program is 4 semesters:
- the first semester is conducted at Vishwakarma University in Pune in a work-integrated study program mode
- semesters 2 and 3 take place on campus at Hof University
- semester 4 consists of an internship in a company
The first three semesters provide practice orientated theory (case studies, working in labs, excursions, expert talks, etc.). The study program contains basic, core and elective modules. This facilitates the acquisition of the competences, which are necessary for a holistic understanding of the efficiency of management methods in harmony with the environment.
The fourth semester is spent working as an intern in a company to gain more practical experience. The Master thesis has to be written during this time as well.
After successful completion of the program, Hof University of Applied Sciences awards the academic degree Master of Business Administration & Engineering (M.B.A. & Eng.).
The first semester takes place at Vishwakarma University, India (work-integrated study mode parallel to the students' jobs). Two of the modules will be taught by Hof University professors. In total, the first semester consists of 6 modules, 5 ECTS per module:
- German language A1
- Case studies (taught by Hof University faculty)
- Traditional and agile project management (taught by Hof University faculty)
- Legal framework and public administration
- Logistics and emissions
- Principles of operations management and environmental economics
Semesters 2 and 3 provide practice oriented theory (case studies, labwork, excursions, expert meetings…). They consist of 12 modules, 5 ECTS per module (4 basic modules + 6 core modules + 2 elective modules):
- Applied economics and research on the German Market
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Leadership and change management
- Strategic and financial framework
- Quality management
- Clean production technologies
- Water and waste water management
- Environmental controlling
- Procurement management and risk management
- Sustainability in product development, recycling and disposal
Elective modules (choose two):
- Entrepreneurship in Germany
- Supply chain management
- Information and process management
- Industrial marketing and sales strategies
- Trends and challenges in Green Tech
- German language A2*
- German language B1*
- German language (higher levels, if applicable)
* If you have a German language level of A1 at the point of admission in Hof, the modules German A2 and B1 are mandatory. Other elective modules may be passed as additional modules but will not count toward your degree and can be charged with an extra fee.
The 4th semester is dedicated to an internship (30 ECTS) in a company. During that period of study the Master's thesis (30 ECTS) has to be written as well. For entering the internship, all students have to prove at least the German language level B1.
- Application of the methodological procedures which were obtained and trained during the entire program.
- The thesis should be written during the internship and should cover a current topic of the company.
- Topic selection has to be done in accordance with the supervising professor.
A unique feature of our M.B.A. and Eng. is that students spend the fourth semester doing a practical internship in industry. This internship semester is usually paid for by the company (around EUR 600 to 900 per month). Also the Master thesis is project-based and done in cooperation with a company. Thus, you can immediately apply your knowledge, gain profound professional experience and earn money at the same time.
For an admission in this Master program, you need to fulfill the following admission criteria:
- A Bachelor’s degree or similar from an accredited university in Engineering Sciences, at least 180 ECTS or equivalent (depending on the home country)
- Proficiency in English, proven by either
- official test score documents (TOEFL minimum 90 or IELTS 6.5 or above) or
- confirmation that the Bachelor's program was taught completely in English
- One year of work experience (on arrival in Germany)
- Basic language skills in German, proven by official test score documents - minimum level A1 (on arrival in Germany; German language A1 is part of the curriculum at VU in the first semester)
All applications must be done via the online application portal of Vishwakarma University: https://www.vupune.ac.in/admissions
The application deadline is December 11, 2020
Program start at VU Pune: 01.01.2021
The selection of the candidates will be handled in a collaborative approach between Vishwakarma University and Hof University of Applied Sciences.
If you have any questions concerning the admission process, please contact ankita.sanglevupune.ac.LÖSCHEN.in
Tuition fees and support structure
The cost for the first semester at Vishwakarma University in Pune is INR 200,000.
Each semester at Hof University (Semesters 2 to 4) costs EUR 3,690 in tuition fees, plus an administrative fee of approx. EUR 100 per semester. These fees include
- organizational support and guidance before your start at Hof University, e.g. with visa application, pick-up service upon arrival in Hof, assistance with administrative issues
- assistance in finding accommodation
- intensive social and academic guidance during your studies
- two week Orientation Period prior to the start of your studies
- special social and cultural activities for integration
- career-promoting activities such as intercultural trainings, field trips, company visits
- free public transport in the city of Hof
For a full overview on our support for international students and the practical issues of living in Hof, please have a look at the webpages of our Welcome Service.